Friday 18 October 2013

Had I the Heavens - Concertina Book

I LOVE MY JOB!

Everyday can be different and while for the most part these days my work consists of Wedding Invitations and Stationery, I occasionally get the chance to brush up on my calligraphy skills.

I don't want to go into too many details about this commission, or in fact who it was for because to whole thing was pretty personal to the caller and the reasons are pretty sensitive. 

So without much explanation... I'll just share the pictures....

It had been a while since I did a commission 
where the words had such meaning. 

The brief was Pinks..... of all shades....




For whatever reason... the words just didn't look right. They lacked flow and were all too stiff.
Perhaps it was my anxiety of having to portray someone's emotions across in a way that the recipient would understand the meaning behinds them. 

I don't think people realise the pressure
a commission of this kind can put on an artist.

On the one hand you have your won ideas,
while on the other hand you need to convey theirs.
The best ones are the ones who say

"Just do it however you want.
You'll know what to do.
I mean... that's your job!"

I tried again......But still I just wasn't happy.



I left it alone for a few days....
but I was aware of the urgency that this piece needed to be done.

A marriage could depend on it :-( 

I relaxed and ruled up once again.....
And this time chose Gold Gouache....


Much better.....


Softer, lighter,.... heaven like.....



The letters started to form and take shape....


Formal Capitals... with a twist.....


Which helped the piece loose it's stiffness...



And the tumbling squares....
which seem to be some sort of trademark with me
and have been for some years....



Here's the finished piece before folding....
(iPads take such crappy photos!)



And once folded, glued to 2 card covers... 
forming a Concertina Card/Book



And here's the finished piece.... minus the
 front plate which has the recipients name on it.



If you want to see more 
Concertina Cards/Books

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for visiting Inspired by Script. We love hearing what you think and from other creatives too. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to leave a comment :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...