Friday 31 December 2010

The Queens Royal Lancers Memorial Book

As a Calligrapher and Lettering Artist, commissions come in all shapes and sizes....
Of all the jobs I find most difficult, it's the addition of entries in memorial books. I just cannot seem to emotionally detach myself from the young men (and sometimes women, but never the less young, waste of life.

This memorial book has entries originally entered by Anthony Wood, a Calligrapher and superb Heraldic Artist, I have admired for most of my training days.

The entries start with Gilded Surnames, Christian names in Scarlet Lake and the rest of the entry in Black. The book is bound in leather covered wood and the pages are Vellum...

The cover is Gold Foil Blocked and all the pages are gilded in finest Gold Leaf.

Sadly Anthony suffered a stroke 2 years ago and is now unable to add more entries. Reminding us that life is precious and health cannot be taken for granted.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely work Sue. I add names to a book of remeberance, thankfully it is loose leaf, otherwise I'd be very scared. I found that young people's deaths always troubled me. Thankfully we are still alive to record those that are not.

    All the best - Keith

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for visiting Inspired by Script. We love hearing what you think and from other creatives too. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to leave a comment :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...