Monday 21 February 2011

Valentines Gift - The Invitation - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

The first time I read this poem, the hairs stood up on the back of my neck.... and they still do. The Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer is probably the most moving pieces of writing U have ever read....

I am planning on doing this as a large piece. I want everyone to read it! The words speak volumes. ......

It doesn't interest me what you do for a living,
I want to know what you ache for,
I want to know, if you dare to dream,
of meeting your hearts longing.....

It doesn't interest me how old you are....
I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love.
For your dream....
for the adventure of being alive....

I want to know
if you have touched the centre of your own sorrow,
If you have been opened by life's betrayals,
or have become shrivelled and closed
from fear of further pain.....
The book The Invitation is available on Amazon. If you haven't got a copy, I suggest you rush out and get one. It's a beautiful book to read.
I have read this poem to many people. Not everyone 'gets it', or understands it. In a nutshell, we all suffer trials and tragedy in our lives. How we deal with them and how we let them affect us long term is the operative thing.
Don't tell me the positive....tell me all your bad stuff and show me how you have triumphed over adversity and how you refuse to let the past, affect the future!
The single section book is 12 pages long. The lettering is a mixture of hand lettering and typeface, and printed in foil. a watercolour wash is painted over the gold and embellishments of little hearts is a common theme throughout the book.
It was a Valentines gift for someone who read and fully understood and appreciates the message.

2 comments:

  1. I used a photo and linked back here on my own blog post today. When I searched Google Images for The Invitation, it sent me here. :)
    http://www.allboutcutedesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Shayla for featuring my piece of work! Much appreciated xxx

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for visiting Inspired by Script. We love hearing what you think and from other creatives too. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to leave a comment :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...