Monday 9 February 2015

Love & Marriage Poems,Quotations and Readings - Perfect for Weddings or Valantines Day

As a Calligrapher... I have a passion for quotation collecting... feast your eyes on this little lot. Suitable for both Weddings and Valentines Day. You are sure to find something suitable here:

Wedding Quotes

On this day I will marry my friend,
the one I laugh with,
live for,
dream with,
love.
There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage.
Martin Luther
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.
Helen Keller
On this day of joy, we thank you for joining us in the celebration of our love and the beginning of our new life together.
We come to love not by finding a perfect person,
but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.
Sam Keen
My true love hath my heart,
and I have his
Philip Sydney, English Poet
There is only one happiness in life,
to love and be loved.
George Sands
Whatever our souls are made up,
his and mine are the same
Emily Bronte
All you need is love.
John Lennon

Biblical

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
1 Corinthians 13: 4-7 
My beloved spoke, and said to me, Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, come with me. See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land. The fig tree forms its early fruit; the blossoming vines spread their fragrance. Arise, come, my darling; my beautiful one, come with me.
“Song of Solomon” 2:10-13, 
For I have found the one whom my soul loves.
“Song of Solomon”
Two are better than one because they have a good return or if either for their labor. Fr of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up. Furthermore, if two lie down together they keep warm, but how can one be warm alone? And if one can overpower him who is alone, two can resist him. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Poetry & Classic

On Love
an excerpt by Kahlil Gibran
Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself.
Love possesses not nor would it be possessed;
For love is sufficient unto love.
Love’s Philosophy
P.B. Shelley
The Fountains mingle with the Rivers
And the Rivers with the Oceans,
The winds of Heaven mix forever
With a sweet emotion;
Nothing in the world is single;
All things by a law divine
In one spirit meet and mingle.
Why not I with thine?
See the mountains kiss high Heaven
And the waves clasp one another;
No sister-flower would be forgiven
If it disdained its brother,
And the sunlight clasps the earth
And the moonbeams kiss the sea:
What is all this sweet work worth
If thou kiss not me?
Love
Emily Dickinson
Love is anterior of life,
Posterior to death,
Initial of creation and
The exponent of breath.
From Shakespeare’s Hamlet
Doubt thou the stars are fire;
Doubt that the sun doth move;
Doubt truth to be a liar;
But never doubt I love.
To Be One With Each Other
George Eliot
What greater thing is there for two human souls
than to feel that they are joined together to strengthen
each other in all labor, to minister to each other in all sorrow,
to share with each other in all gladness,
to be one with each other in the
silent unspoken memories.

Irish Wedding Blessings

May Joy and Peace surround you both, contentment latch your door, and happiness be with you now and God Bless you evermore.
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
The rain fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.
Dance as if no one were watching
Sing as if no one were listening
And Live every day
As if it were your last.
May you both be blessed
With the strength of heaven,
The light of the sun and the
Radiance of the moon,
The splendour of fire,
The speed of lightning,

The depth of the sea,
The swiftness of wind,
The stability of earth,
And the firmness of rock.

Irish Toast

Wishing you always walls for the wind,
A roof for the rain,
Tea beside the fire,
And the love and laughter of those you hold dear.

Apache Wedding Prayer

Now you will feel no rain,
for each of you will be shelter for the other.
Now you will feel no cold,
for each of you will be warmth to the other.
Now there will be no loneliness,
for each of you will be companion to the other.
Now you are two persons,
but there is only one life before you.
May beauty surround you both in the journey ahead
and through all the years.
May happiness be your companion,
and your days together be good and long upon the earth.

Treat yourselves and each other with respect,
and remind yourselves often of what brought you together.
Give the highest priority to the tenderness,
gentleness and kindness that your connection deserves.
When frustration, difficulty and fear
assail your relationship—​as they threaten all relationships
at one time or another—​
remember to focus on what is right between you,
not only the part which seems wrong.
In this way, you can ride out the storms
when clouds hide the face of the sun in your lives
—​remembering that even if you lose sight of it
for a moment, the sun is still there.
And if each of you takes responsibility
for the quality of your life together,
it will be marked by abundance and delight.

Non-traditional Readings

"Sonnet from the Portuguese"
by Elizabeth Barrett Browning
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,—​I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!—​and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
“Wedding Prayer” 
by Robert Lewis Stevenson
Lord, behold our family here assembled.
We thank you for this place in which we dwell,
for the love that unites us,
for the peace accorded us this day,
for the hope with which we expect the morrow,
for the health, the work, the food,
and the bright skies that make our lives delightful;
for our friends in all parts of the earth.
Amen

I want to grow old with you
from The Wedding Singer
I wanna make you smile whenever you’re sad
Carry you around when your arthritis is bad
All I wanna do is grow old with you.
I’ll get your medicine when your tummy aches
build you a fire if the furnace breaks
Oh it could be so nice, growin’ old with you.
I’ll miss you, kiss you, give you my coat when you are cold.
Need you, feed you, I’ll even let you hold the remote control.
So let me do the dishes in the kitchen sink
Put you to bed when you’ve had too much to drink.
Oh I could be the man to grow old with you.
I wanna grow old with you.
I carry your heart with me
by E.E. Cummings
i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)
i fear
no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart (i carry it in my hear)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for visiting Inspired by Script. We love hearing what you think and from other creatives too. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to leave a comment :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...